Tuesday, June 03, 2014

You just never know when you make a difference in a child's life.

     The end of the school year is always crazy. We have field trips, dances, recognition, honors dinners, band and choir concerts and the list goes on and on and on. I am sure it is the same at your school as well. One of the things that always surprises me is when students write me letters. Here is one of the letters I received this year.


Just in case you can't read it here is what it says.

Dear Mrs. Lichtenberger,
     Today in English class we had to write a letter to someone who made a difference in our lives and I decided to write to you.
     On the first day of school, I was scared and terrified. I didn't know anyone or anything about the school. Each period got worst and worst, until eighth period algebra.
     Right when I entered your classroom you said how was your day? We had a conversation about our day. The classroom was comfortable and that was the only time I got to relax. I loved it.
     I don't really talk that much, but after everything it made me feel better about going to school everyday.
     Although this incident may seem like nothing, it really made a difference in my life and hopefully many others.
                                                 Your best student,
                                                  XXXXXXXXX

     This is a student who came in after the first nine weeks of school. I could not remember this conversation and had to think long and hard before any of it came to me. It was nothing, probably a minute or two but in that short time this boy was at ease. Wow. This letter really touched me. Who knows how many times the little things I say or do can impact a child. This incident reminded me of a book I read titled, Just a Minute.  This book is filled with stories of people who took just a minute with children and how that minute impacted their lives. I have decided to make my goal for next year to try to make these minute appointments with my kids. Who knows when those minutes make an impact on my students?


                                                                          Til next time,
                                                                               Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...