Monday, February 17, 2014

Getting ready to teach Pythagorean Theorem (Part 1)

      After spring break I will be starting Pythagorean Theorem. I'm really excited about this unit because in the past I have had to teach it quickly and move on. I would spent 3 days max on it, but this year I am going to spend much more time and go into the material at a deeper level than I ever have before.

The learning targets that I need to cover are:

 Prove, model and explain Pythagorean Theorem.
 Use the Pythagorean Theorem to test a right triangle.
 Identify Pythagorean triplets
 Find unknown side lengths of right triangles.
 Use Pythagorean Theorem to find unknown lengths of right triangles to solve
volume and surface area problems.
 Use Pythagorean Theorem to find the length of slanted lines on the coordinate
plane.
     There is a lesson on Pinterest where kids use Cheez Its to model Pythagorean Theorem. I think I am going to use Starburst candies, (by Pam Lucken), instead for this lesson. Less crumbs and not as messy. Believe me when I say my eighth graders can make a huge mess in my room. I am sure some of the candies will mysteriously disappear so I need to see where I can buy a massive amounts of Starbursts. There are 150 students in my classes so I will need a lot of candy even with students working in groups.

                        

       I've also seen this modeled with other manipulatives but candy is so much more fun! Don't you think?

      I've decided to get started on my Interactive Notebook now so it will be all ready go and I won't have to work on it over break. I will be posting my unit in bits and pieces as I finish them. I was looking for a foldable that was a little different than the ones that I have done with the kids already. I have not used a brochure foldable and I saw one similar to the one below and added some of my own problems.


            I usually spend one day on the types of problems on the left where the kids have to look at the sides and determine whether the sides form a right triangle. I'm still looking for activities to add to this section.

In their notebooks I will have them make a list of steps to follow. 



Click HERE to download the Pythagorean Theorem foldable.


Enjoy! Til next time,Jan




5 comments:

  1. The foldable link shows a 404 error :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found a similar foldable in case anyone is looking: http://jhs.lvisd.org/apps/download/whMM45EZARKzY7kiXgdDSUXxaNbNB1vFA7GKO5r5HUcxTZdj.pdf/PythagoreanTheoremFoldable.pdf

      Delete
    2. Thanks for letting me know about the error. I fixed it and you should be able to download the foldable. Let me know if you have any issues with the download. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Cannot open the foldable and REALLY want to use it tomorrow! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry you were not able to download the file.I had no problem on my end. Here is a copy of the link. Copyand paste it see if this works for you. https://www.dropbox.com/s/wggwfyizcm0nxmq/Pythagorean%20foldable.pdf?dl=0
      Sorry you didn't get this in time:(

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...