Saturday, December 19, 2015

My favorite project -- year 2

     This is my second year using my transformation project as an assessment and I love it! See my previous post here, transformation summative assessment, for all the details. The timing of this project couldn't be any more perfect as it falls the week before winter break. My kids were so busy and engaged while they worked on this. I had music playing and we all had a great time. 
     The key to this assessment is that it never leaves the room. I've debated long and hard about whether to post the students pictures because students could google and find this to copy. (Just to let you know, there are errors in all of these pictures.) I would love to hear your opinions about whether to post student work or not. As I said, the way I get around the copying is that this never leaves the room and they have to work on it while I am present. Even if they get ideas from other places, they still have to do all the work. With that said, here are some of my favorites from this year. 



We had our winter theme. This student did all of her transformations from the pre-image.


There are all levels of difficulty in these pictures. I told the students to make a picture between 10 and 30 points, but not to go over 30 because that makes it too hard to finish in our 3 1/2  periods.


There were a couple of students who drew pencils and both were different. 


I love these hats!



This student chose boxing gloves.


On this one you really have to look at the points to see what
 the transformations are because it is so symmetrical.



This picture reminds me of a Dr. Seuss illustration.



The emoticons were very popular and hard to draw. This student worked so hard, and had to tape an extra sheet of graph paper to the back for her picture to fit, and then had graph paper with the plastic that wouldn't let her write on it. It was exhausting! She worked so hard I had to post it.


Another emoticons. They call them emo gees or emogees,
 but I don't know how to spell that and either does spell check.


Nice candy canes, they ate some while they were working.



There is always a clown in every class and here he is. 
His last transformation is not correct but he made me laugh 
and was creative.



Hope you enjoyed these. Have a wonderful holiday season.

Til next time,

Jan


16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Janet:) It is such a fun project to do with the kids. They really enjoyed it. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. You made my day.

      Delete
    2. The rubric is included in my first year post of this project. Here is the link.
      https://equationfreak.blogspot.com/2014/12/transformations-summative-assessment.html

      Delete
  2. I will definitely be using this when we get to transformations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see your students projects! You'll love it. Good to hear from you and hope you are enjoying the holidays.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I will add that to my dictionary. I'm glad you found my blog and thanks for taking time to leave a comment. I love hearing from my readers.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. The rubric is on this post. Scroll to the bottom to download it. Hope you enjoy the project.
      http://equationfreak.blogspot.com/2014/12/transformations-summative-assessment.html

      Delete
  5. Would this work for high school too? I plan to have them list the points and write a rule in coordinate notation. Then from there prove their pictures to be congruent through a sequence of rigid transformations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds awesome. Let me know how it went. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

      Delete
  6. I'm so excited to do this with my high schoolers starting tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz - thanks for taking time to leave a comment. I would love to hear how the students did with their assessments! Hope they enjoyed it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...