Sunday, March 09, 2014

Pythagorean Theorem - Real Life Lessons

     I have been searching for some real life application lessons for Pythagorean Theorem unit. You know the lessons that students can relate to, not the ones where you have a ladder placed against a building. I have found a two lessons that I absolutely love.

     The first is  Mrs. Hester's Pythagorean Theorem map lesson and it is exactly what I have been looking for. How often do our students actually handle a map and measure it?  And she uses a map of the town the students live in. Now that is something they can relate to and understand. I am sure there is a lesson that could be developed using technology but that will be for a later post.
                                           
     Mrs. Hester has students find how much cable AT&T will need to install U-verse lines in the town the kids live in. Unfortunately there are not many straight roads in the town I teach in. UGH! No wonder I get lost in this subdivision when I decide to take the back roads as a short cut. I'm determined to find a spot in this town that has straight roads. Until then I may just use Mrs. Hester's map. I love this lesson!
       
      The second lesson is Tim's 3 act, TV space at Embrace the Drawing Board.

     In this lesson, Tim has an area below a shelf, between two speakers and on a stand that he wants to place a TV. Will the Samsung TV fit in this space? Tim has more pictures with measurements and discussion questions. This again is the real life experience problems I am looking  for my students to do. They can relate to the problem and who doesn't want a big screen TV? Thanks Tim for this awesome lesson.
     As I have said before, I don't think I am a very creative person but I don't have to be. There are so many wonderful lessons out in Blogland that I can pull for my students to use. I don't need to spend hours making them, I can adapt the lessons that others have so generously shared. If anyone has other Pythagorean Theorem lessons they know of, please share them. I would love to see more of these.
                                                             Til next time,

                                                                    Jan


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...