Saturday, May 02, 2015

Pythagorean Triple INB page - an update of an old foldable

Last year I spent so much time working on my Pythagorean Theorem unit and when it was finished I was pleased with the results. So I decided to just use everything from this unit again. I was looking at the Pythagorean Triple foldable and remember spending endless hours making it. I was surprised when I looked at it this year that I didn't like it at all! I wasn't happy with the wording, the way it looked or anything actually. Wow, I was so proud of it when it was posted. Anyway, I decided to update that foldable and make pages that will fit into our composition notebook. Although I'm still not thrilled with the final product it is better. The second page should be one large page and the wording on the last two pages is not the way I want it, but it's an improvement. Maybe by next year I will get a final copy that is perfect.



Most graph paper has centimeter grids. These composition notebooks and 1/4 inch grids. We couldn't measure in inches because the triangles would be too big. That is why I don't have any measurements listed on the paper. We made our first triangle a 3x4x5 grid triangle.




And of course, we reviewed slope of similar figures. 
Coming back to a topic several times is benificial for my kids.



My students can't understand when you double the dimensions of a figure, you don't just double the area of the original figure. I wanted this lesson to review that with them.






I'm not at all happy with the wording of the last question. I have to work on that one.




I really do like this lesson and will be teaching it next week. 
I will probably have an update of this update then.
To download the files click HERE.

Til next time,
Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...