Sunday, December 07, 2014

Rotations interactive notebook page and a video link too.

          Right now my 8th grade pre-algebra classes are working through our unit on transformations. Rotations have proved to be a difficult concept for them to grasp so I started searching blogs looking for ideas. I was inspired by a table in a foldable that Nancy at geometry gems had on her site.  I knew I wanted to create that table for my students to place in their interactive notebooks as quick reference on how to graph rotations. We started with a pre-image in the first quadrant so they could easily discover the changes that occurred in the ordered pairs of the rotations. 




      Those of you who read my blog regularly know that the majority of my school is comprised of second language learners. I always try to give as many visuals as possible to help my students who struggle with vocabulary. We drew arrows to show the clockwise and counterclockwise movements. We also color coded the corresponding shapes and ordered pairs as well.



      We also wrote what it means to rotate 90, 180, 270 and 360 degrees. 




                                Click here for a copy of the rotations INB page tables.

     I was excited to find over 700 of these composition notebooks in a storage room that someone donated 3 years ago. My principal didn't know they were even there and I asked if the math department could have them and he said yes! We have brand new notebooks for all of our students. How cool is that!



     What is so nice about these notebooks is that the top is graph paper and the bottom is lined. Now I have to figure out how to use these. I am use to spirals and because I write large it is a challenge but I will work it out.



     I also wanted to share a video that my kids absolutely love. If you haven't seen Colin Dodd's videos you are in for a treat. I wish he was still teaching 8th grade. (Sigh) Here is a link to Colin Dodds on you tube to view his other videos too. Enjoy.


     I am excited about a project I am having the kids do next week. Can't wait to share it when they are finished. Pictures will be coming soon!

Til next time,

Jan



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. I am just getting started with INB. I have used composition books for notes but like adding more to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are going to love using foldables and graphic organizers in you INB. Enjoy:)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...